CHARLES DAVIS SCHOOL BLACK closed 1895 was “built in a green pasture before the creek to Guild Hill corner and on the property of Charles Davis.” It was in the area of Old Jefferson.
The school was a one-room, one-teacher school.
The last teacher was Kitty Howse.
Turner Peebles, 87 years old in February 1983, was a student there in 1894 and 1895, the last two years of the school. Turner Peebles was later financial secretary for all colored schools in the state. Turner Peebles went the next year, when he was eight years old, to ST. PAUL SCHOOL.
SOURCE: Interview, Feb. 13, 1983, with Turner Peebles, now deceased.