Confederate Reunion, September 25, 1928

Compliments of the Library of Congress Photograph shows group portrait of UCV Tennessee Division veterans wearing badges and uniforms with their wives; Civil War veteran Sergeant Harry Rene Lee of Co. K, 34th Mississippi Infantry Regiment stands at far left.

Continue reading

The Murfreesboro Seminary for Girls, 1886 – 1890

MURFREESBORO SEMINARY 1886-1890 was a school for young ladies and children. It was a private school held in the McFadden home at 502 North Maple Street in Murfreesboro. The Beers Map of 1878 shows that to be the residence of J. C. McFadden. The L-shaped building was a two-story log…

Continue reading

The Murfreesboro Female Seminary, 1835 – ???

MURFREESBOROUGH FEMALE SEMINARY January 1835 – ??? was inMurfreesboro, District 13. It has been written that the school was located at 123 East College Street on the corner where medical offices are today. That site, however, was the home of Robert Wendel who bought the historic house in 1855 from…

Continue reading

The Mooney School for Boys, 1902-1908

The MOONEY SCHOOL FOR BOYS 1902-1908 was located on the south side of East Main Street with buildings west of the present Second Avenue. It was founded by William Dromgoole Mooney who came to Murfreesboro from Franklin where he and Mr. Wall had founded Battle Ground Academy. On June 12,…

Continue reading

Depot Hill Water Storage Tank

February 3, 1974, The Daily News Journal How many times have we driven past water tanks without taking notice? The water tank located near McFadden School of Excellence is in an area once known as ‘Depot Hill’. $557,000 for a two-million gallon water tank seemed like a large sum of…

Continue reading

Holloway High School (Black), 1929-1968

HOLLOWAY HIGH SCHOOL BLACK 1929-1968 was built on the east side of South Highland Street. It was dedicated in December 1929 and was named in honor of E. C. Holloway who worked for the establishment of the school. The school served both city and county students. On April 27, 1929,…

Continue reading

The Female Academy, 1825-1891

The FEMALE ACADEMY 1825-1891 was located on the east side of Depot Street opposite the Methodist Church, presently Maple Street opposite the building of the Middle Tennessee Electric Membership Corporation. According to the SOULE COLLEGE historical marker, the FEMALE ACADEMY was organized by Mary and Nancy Banks, teachers. F. N.…

Continue reading

Tommy Martin was ‘Mr. Murfreesboro’ for a reason

September 29, 2020 Jason Reynolds, The Murfreesboro Post Family and friends of the original ‘Mr. Murfreesboro’, Tommy Martin, said they want to make sure members of the community continue to remember his legacy. Martin’s influence in shaping the community in the mid-1900’s was such that the Murfreesboro City Council and…

Continue reading

First Lady Sarah Polk has Deep Roots in Murfreesboro

September 28, 2020, Susan Harber, Local Historian Rutherford County bequeathed an elegant and sophisticated future president’s wife in the emergence of Sarah Childress Polk. She was named for her maternal grandmother Sarah Thompson Whitsitt (1746-1831), who was born in British Colonial America. Sarah served as a respected and fascinating First…

Continue reading

Crichlow Grammar School, 1922-1968

CRICHLOW GRAMMAR SCHOOL 1922-1968 was located in Murfreesboro at 400 North Maple Street on the site of the old MURFREESBORO FEMALE ACADEMY and across the street from the present MTEMC building. In 1919, John Charles Mitchell, City School Superintendent, remodeled the old MURFREESBORO PUBLIC SCHOOL OR MAPLE STREET GRAMMAR SCHOOL,…

Continue reading

Raikes was ‘Greatest Bulldog Ever’

Smyrna High School towers as a beacon on Bulldog Drive where my children Katherine and Michael Harber both graduated. The advent of Robert ‘Bud’ Raikes is a longstanding and storied chapter of time. Robert was a win-win leader for the advancing school for 52 monumental years. He served as prime…

Continue reading

Bob Hope wows the crowd at Murphy Center

April 5, 1973 Middle Tennessee State University Murphy Center, Murfreesboro, Tennessee From the Daily News Journal, April 8, 1973, “The magnificent Charles M. Murphy Athletic Center was the scene of much activity Thursday night when the initial ‘big name’ performance was given by none other than himself, BOB HOPE!”

Continue reading

Andrew Nelson Lytle

September 9, 2020 Local Historian Bill Jakes Andrew Nelson Lytle (December 26, 1902 – December 13, 1995) was an American novelist, dramatist, essayist and professor of literature. He was born on December 26, 1902 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. He graduated from Vanderbilt University in 1925. Lytle was the owner of “Cornsilk”,…

Continue reading