Big Springs School, 1918-1941

BIG SPRING SCHOOL 1918-1941 was built on the site of the former school. In 1918 there was a dire need for a new school. Will Newman was the teacher and his father owned the sawmill nearby. After the people of the community had brought their logs to be sawed, the…

Continue reading

Big Spring School, 1881-1899

BIG SPRING SCHOOL 1881-1898 or 1899 was an upper school about one mile east of Big Spring on the south side of Big Spring Road and west of the Baptist church. On August 22, 1881, W. D. Mankin signed a deed for a school to School Commissioners W. B. Mankin,…

Continue reading

Chadwick School, (Cedar Grove) 1860-1936

CHADWICK SCHOOL 1860-c 1936 was on the Manchester Highway about two miles north of the Rutherford-Bedford County line. It was on the east side of the road and about 100 yards south of the Chadwick cemetery. On April 2, 1860, Alexander Downing deeded to B. L. Chadwick, Trustee, one-half acre…

Continue reading

Cedar Grove School, 1882-1911

CEDAR GROVE SCHOOL 1882-1911 was known as School No. 6 in District 24. It was located on the west side of Cedar Grove Road just before the Cedar Grove Methodist Church which is shown on the 1878 Beers Map. It was in the field east of the present home of…

Continue reading

Big Springs School (1860’s)

BIG SPRING SCHOOL or CARLOCKSVILLE SCHOOL f1. 1860’s was west of the Big Spring. It was on a road that ran east of the Manchester Highway. Its exact location is not known. Alline Kelton was told by her father that the school was a brick building. The only brick building…

Continue reading