Central High School, 1915-1919

CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL fall 1915-spring 1919 was a coeducational, public school housed in the old MOONEY School Building on East Main Street. The school is listed by name as CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL in the Biennial Report of Schools of Tennessee 1915-1916. A two-year high school, it became a four-year high…

Continue reading

Cannonsburgh Chapel-Tipperary School, 1915-1925

The Cannonsburgh Chapel in Murfreesboro was at one time TIPPERARY SCHOOL 1915-1925, a subscription school in District 3. It was on the south side of the present Waldron Road about one mile from the railroad in Lavergne. The TIPPERARY SCHOOL was first named GAMBILL SCHOOL in honor of School Director…

Continue reading

Bristol Nelson Physiological School, 1911-1949

BRISTOL NELSON PHYSIOLOGICAL SCHOOL 1911-1949 was located at 512 North Highland Ave., Murfreesboro. The site is shown on the 1878 Beers Map as the home of J. W. Ewing facing High Street and bordered by Burton Street and Liberty Pike. Not only is the building historic, but it has been…

Continue reading

Bradley School, Black 1884-1955

BRADLEY SCHOOL BL?CK 1884-1955 was a reorganization of BRADLEY ACADEMY for the exclusive use of Negroes. The school was located on the east side of S. Academy Street in Murfreesboro. The old BRADLEY ACADEMY building, which was used as a hospital during the war, was turned over to F. G.…

Continue reading

Central High School 1945 – Basketball

February 21, 1945, The Rutherford Courier Wow – look at some of the names from this newspaper clipping: Kneeling: Jack McHenry, James Carter, Collier Crichlow, Will Polk Allen and Nile McCrary. Standing: Jim Sprangler, Junior Cook, Richard Gannaway, Bill Nesbitt, Allen Prince and Butch Young.

Continue reading

Chiggers and Ticks Fight Over Their Next Food Source

July 10, 2020 July/August Frow Chips, RCHS Board Member and accomplished author Pettus Read It looks like July may be its usual self with hot days and the humidity around 125 percent, but which should be totally normal for us country types to be out struggling to get our hands…

Continue reading

The Old Children’s Discovery House

November 21, 2001, Children’s Discovery House Pictured are two of the three daughters of RCHS volunteer Frank Caperton, taken by the Daily News Journal, November 21, 2001 at the ‘old’ Children’s Discovery House once located at 503 North Maple Street.

Continue reading

The Order of Rainbow for Girls, c1960

August 12, 2020, Submitted by Local Historian Liz Merritt Bouma The International Order of the Rainbow for Girls is a service organization for girls between the ages of 11 and 20. This organization allows young ladies to build self confidence and leadership skills, all while serving their community.

Continue reading

Bradley Academy, 1806-1884

BRADLEY ACADEMY 1806-1884 was first located near Colonel Rucker’s place and the present Veterans Administration Hospital on the east side of Lebanon Pike about four miles north of Murfreesboro. By 1811, BRADLEY ACADEMY had moved to Murfreesboro to a site northeast of the 1918 BRADLEY SCHOOL building on South Academy…

Continue reading

Anderson School for Boys, 1908-1912

The ANDERSON SCHOOL FOR BOYS 1908-1912 took over the old MOONEY SCHOOL on the south side of East Main Street in Murfreesboro. On March 28, 1908, the School Trustees received from W. D. Mooney and wife Grace R. two parcels of land, the MOONEY SCHOOL and the home on High…

Continue reading

Rockvale High School, 1927-1972

ROCKVALE HIGH SCHOOL 1927-1972 was on the same site as the former frame building. The new brick building was constructed in an “H” shape with an auditorium, an office, and a small library forming the horizontal bar of the “H.” Three classrooms were located in each wing. There were, in…

Continue reading

Murfreesboro Mayors: 36-40

July 8, 2020, A Series by Barry Lamb Overall, John Marcy was born on March 2, 1854 in the Trimble (17th) district of Rutherford County to Nathaniel Sims Overall and Dicey Crutchfield Cartwright Overall. His paternal grandparents were Robert and Mary Espey Overall, who came to Middle Tennessee before Tennessee…

Continue reading