Wray’s School (Rockvale), 1880-1924

WRAY’S SCHOOL fl. 1880’s-1924 was located in the community of Snell. The school was first on a dirt road about one-half mile south of the old Franklin dirt road and just west of the present Coleman Hill Road. It was built in a wooded area on land owned by Thomas…

Continue reading

Knight School (Barfield), 1893 – ?

KNIGHT SCHOOL 1893- was on the southwest corner of the intersection of Barfield Road and the Shelbyville Highway. Because of the interest that James M. Knight had “in the education of the white children of his neighborhood,” he sold one on acre for one dollar for as long as there…

Continue reading

Halliburton School, 1860s

HALLIBURTON SCHOOL 1860’s was in the Rucker Community. The 1878 Beers Map shows it to have been on the south side of the Rucker Road just east of the railroad. The school was held in a residence owned by the Halliburtons who had a spare room. The teacher was “a…

Continue reading

Versailles School, 1850’s-1886

VERSAILLES SCHOOL 1850’s-l885 or 1886 was the first school known in the area. It was in the southeast corner of the Nance property where the Nance farm joins the Bill Williams-Willie Floyd Williams land. It was on the 10th District 1/2 mile east of Versailles on the north side of…

Continue reading

Concord School (Eagleville), 1871-1910

CONCORD SCHOOL f 1. 1871-1910 was located on land given by Charles Blackman “Kit” Farris, a Methodist Circuit Rider, and by Dr. J. O. Sharber for building a church and a school. It was across from the present Concord Methodist Church. The 1878 Beers Map shows Concord Church on the…

Continue reading

Pleasant Hill School, 1923-1939

PLEASANT HILL SCHOOL 1923-1939, sometimes called “CHIGGER RIDGE” and “PUMPKIN CENTER,” was located on Rocky Glade Road about four miles north of Highway 99. It was on the south side of the road just east of the intersection with Taylor Road. When the LITTLE ROCK SCHOOL closed, the building was…

Continue reading

Kelley Chapel School, 1886-?

KELLEY CHAPEL SCHOOL 1886- was on the west side of the Eagleville-Shelbyville Turnpike about three miles south of Eagleville. On August 16, 1886, Enoch Beale Kelley and Sarah Jane Kelley deeded one half acre of land to School Directors F. Oglivie, John B. Crichlow, and Anderson Wilson for twenty-five dollars.…

Continue reading

Hard Start School (Christiana), 1872-1883

HARD START SCHOOL 1872-1883 was located in Christiana. It was built behind the present Church of Christ on the knob where Uncle Sandy Murray’s house later stood. It was across from the present Brandon View Baptist Church on Miller Road. Judge Tiliman Davis Johnson, born January 8, 1858, has this…

Continue reading

Rock Spring School (Midland), 1871-1915

ROCK SPRING SCHOOL 1871-1915 was founded “a long time” before J. P. “Pet” Gordon started school in 1871 and closed at the end of the 1914-1915 school term. It was located on Rock Spring Road which runs west of the Murfreesboro-Shelbyville Highway. On March 6, 1874, James M. Holden signed…

Continue reading

Fosterville once thrived with turnpike, railroad

May 30, 2015, Susan Harber, Daily News Journal Fosterville, also known as Jordan’s Valley, brims with 182 years of a long, deep history; yet we will glimpse into the earliest days of the community and explore the tragedy and triumph. The community is in the southernmost section of Rutherford County…

Continue reading